Sunday 18 September 2011

How Not To Wear Leggings (The Cardinal Rule You Cannot Ignore)


Leggings have come back into style with a vengeance over the past couple of years. I remember looking at pictures of celebrities (and my mom!) in the 80s, sporting tight leggings and I never really got what the fascination was all about. I actually thought they were quite hideous.
Until a couple of years back, when leggings were coming back into fashion and I started noticing they actually look good on people, when worn well. Then I tried a pair on myself, and ever since I have thought leggings to be the most comfortable item of clothing ever. Forget the so-called comfy denim jeans, leggings I think are so much better. They are light, comfortable, give you enough support where you need it, and most of all leave no button or pocket bulges showing through: everything is smooth as it should be (or better, as much as it can be!).
Although leggings are very comfortable, and can look very fashionable when paired up with the right items of clothing and accessories, they can also look horribly wrong and most of all unflattering, if worn in the wrong way. Let me explain how I think leggings should not be worn, and why.
Do Not Wear Them As Regular Trousers
Ok, I believe this might confuse some of you out there, because in essence leggings are a different type of 'trousers' like jeans and capris are for instance. What I mean is that you cannot treat leggings as regular trousers. Since leggings are obviously very tight and, so they tend to show all your bulges, hug tightly to your bottom, and more often than not they tend to gather between your legs when you are standing up straight, giving you the infamous (and unflattering) 'camel-toe' effect.
Now although these are elements of leggings you definitely do not want to display, it does not mean you should not wear leggings altogether. What it means is that you should not wear leggings with low waist shirts or tops. Any tops that hit right as the waistline, and which would have otherwise looked great with a pair of jeans, cannot be worn with leggings!
Leggings are meant to be worn with longer tops, oftentimes referred to as tunic tops. This ensures that all those unsightly bulges, are covered up. The tunic top also helps to give a flattering silhouette to your overall look, and puts emphasis on showing off your legs, which is exactly what leggings should so.
To further enhance your look I suggest wearing leggings with at least a slight kitten heel, this puts emphasis on your ankle, elongating your leg, to give you a slimmer look. Of course if you are wearing your leggings in the winter-time, you can definitely wear them with heeled boots. Definitely a sexy look!
So, the one thing you have to promise to yourself (and to me!) that you will never, ever do, is wear leggings are regular trousers. This will ensure you always look great and stylish in your leggings

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates