Monday 19 September 2011

Plus Model Advertisements! Do They Make You Depressed?


Thanks to Arizona State University, we have yet another attempted strike against plus models in mainstream media. I came across a study performed by ASU where Naomi Mandel, marketing associate professor in the W. P. Carey School of Business and her colleagues at ASU hypothesized a connection between model sizes in advertisements and the self-esteem of consumers who are viewing them. From results of hundreds of female students unknowingly involved in this study, they concluded "We believe it is unlikely that many brands will gain market share by using heavy models in their ads," reported Mandel.
From the article on ASU's website, "Ads with plus-size models unlikely to work", researchers found the thinner (low BMI) female test subjects were left with a higher self image after viewing ads with all models because they related to the thin models and disassociated themselves from the plus models. The heavier (high BMI) female test subjects were shown to have a lower self image of themselves after viewing all models because they couldn't relate to the thin models and the plus models simply reminded them of their heaviness. To add insult to injury, the average sized (Normal BMI) test subjects actually felt worried they where overweight after viewing plus model ads. So basically its a lose-lose situation over there at ASU!
I most certainly beg to differ as I praise companies who show me they can appeal to the curvy population. Advertisements can't even catch my attention let alone hold it when all I see are size three models who will never know the fashion struggles I face. Even companies who carry plus sizes consistently use straight models to promote their plus line. How would I know your fashion line appeals to me when I don't see anyone even remotely near my size? My personal preference of marketing tactics enforce no size discrimination. If you carry sizes 0-24 then let that be known and shown.
The images DO NOT alter my perception of the company in any positive way. These images do not propel me to run to the boutique and purchase the latest pieces from any collection of that particular brand. These women do not appeal to me or my image in their advertisements and therefore I would not even enter the store. These women do not portray a full figured image that may have a had a hard time finding the right bra or may have had an issue with bust vs. waistline appropriations or hip vs. waistline problems and FINALLY found the perfect clothing line that carries the solution to all my shopping restrictions.
The curvy women in this post represent the majority of USA's female population and they lure me in with their confidence, beauty and familiar stature. Plus-size does not represent "overweight", it identifies "REALITY" in the fashion industry and the marketing advisers, fashion designers and professors at ASU need to finally stop dreaming.
EShante Thompson

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates